Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sick and Tired

Coco has been sick since Sunday. He started with a fever of 103.6 and it really hasn't gone down much. The doctor's office said to give it until Wednesday before bringing him in. He hasn't had any other symptoms besides the fever. I feel bad for the little guy. He's just so tired. There is nothing worse for a parent than when a child is sick. It reminds me of Caz's infancy. We had to go to the ER, just before midnight, when he was two months old. He had a fever of 102.5. That is very high for a newborn. We waited in the ER waiting room for a few hours before we even got seen. When we did we were told the infant ER closed at midnight, and that we should have been seen there. Gee thanks. They wanted to get an IV into Caz, to make sure he stayed hydrated. Demi couldn't bare it, so I held Caz in my lap while they tried to insert a shunt to hook in an IV. It was awful. The nurse stuck him 3-4 times but couldn't find a vein. Caz was shrieking and even though his eyes were screwed shut, it felt like he was staring right through to my heart and saying, "Dad! What the F are you letting them do to me?!" It was killing me. So they took him upstairs and admitted him. The doctor and nurse kicked both of us out of the room to try and insert the shunt again. While it was an awful night, and obviously, imprinted into my memory, I know it could have been worse. I can't imagine parents that have to face real serious health issues with their children. My hats are off to them. They have to be incredibly strong to be able to deal with that.

No comments: