Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mighty Mites - Game 6

Game Six - Home against Taunton B. Just as big, but faster. Things didn't look to improve in our favor. At least we were home. But you know what? We played them tough and close. Our kids came to play.They didn't back down or get discouraged. We moved the ball on offense.We tackled better on defense. All around a better game than last week.
In my years of coaching (3), I have never seen a player hit like one of our got hit on Saturday. Our DE, who is a coach's son, is one of the smallest players on the team. He's a tough kid and wrestles in the winter. He is able to get some leverage and give larger guys some problems. While engaging his man, he free himself and coincidentally placed himself in the hole. The lead blocker was a tank and dropped Meggett like a sack of flour. As I turned to follow the play, my jaw dropped from seeing the hit. In that split second, I feared the worse and turned back around to make sure Meggett was OK. It's the only time I have done that in my coaching career. Not only was Meggett OK, but hewas running past me to pursue the play. After the play, I pulled him off the field to make sure he was OK. He was and I told him that he ought to be proud of himself for getting up. That was the type of game is was. The boys were out matched but they always got up and never gave up.

No comments: