Saturday, March 3, 2018

Armageddon 2018

I really have never seen anything like the aftermath of this storm.  The damage was incredible.  So many trees were down.  The tall pines that usually snap, were totally uprooted.  A large number of people experience damage to their cars and houses, either from the wind directly or from a falling tree or debris.
     It is the only time I can recall, where there was a town by town travel ban put in place.  As soon as it was lifted this AM, I went out to get some some gas.  Little did I know at the time, mayhem was in abundance.  There was no power as I drove towards Marshfield center.  I quickly turned around and headed towards Pembroke.  The problem was, no power meant no traffic lights.  Most people nowadays are terrible drivers in perfect conditions.  When there is no traffic light?  Forget it.  No one knows the rules of the road.  Do you think anyone driving on route 139 was stopping at a traffic light?  Not a chance.  People trying to make a turn or cross route 139 were SOL.  They finally got inpatient and started right into traffic.  I went about 3 miles, avoiding a crash, until I had to turn around.  There was a tree across 139,  I tried a different way home but that was blocked.  Each next attempt at a new way home was blocked.  I finally had to go back the way I came out originally. 
     I got some coffee.  I ate quickly.  Then I grabbed every gas can I had, plus my father's.  I headed back out to route 139 but this time went route 3 north.  I figured heading away from the blast radius was a good idea.  As I past the first exit, I noticed an open gas station.  As I explored the next exit and struck out, I went back to the open gas station.  I got in line.  Yes, a line for gas.  How 1970.  At least I was in the short line.  I filled up the car and all my gas cans, then headed home to replenish the generator.

No comments: