Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A No No - Baseball and Bonding

Jon Lester throws the first no hitter for a Red Sox lefty in more than half a century. The fourth Sox no hitter of this century. It would seem to be getting routine but you really do have to step back, take it all into perspective, and appreciate the enormity of it. I tried to impress that upon my sons. And I think get it to a degree.
Coco immediately brought up Bucholz and last years no hitter. This sparked a good conversation about how hard it is to throw a no no. Coco also remembered that Dustin Pedrioa made a circus catch at the end of the game to prevent a hit up the middle. I told the boys about Ellsbury highlight reel catch in 4th. While the no no is an impressive feat for a pitcher, it really does take a whole team effort to accomplish it. Varitek, now the only catch to have caught 4 no hitters.
While all these facts are great. The no hitters are impressive accomplishments. What I most enjoy is the conversations that follow with my sons. It is the bonding that is important. My now seven year old son can whip off the events of a no hitter from last year. I imagine in the years to come, when the boys are little older, maybe around the holidays, when we gather as a family, we will rehash these talks. And I am sure I will be smiling the whole time.

No comments: