Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Fight or Flight

"I. I will survive."
Instinct. That basic Darwin principle on how humans respond to certain situations. Survival. Are we programmed to flee? Or are we programmed to stand and fight? Until you are faced with a situation, you just don't know. During our latest round of storms, signaling the oncoming of the Apocalypse, Demi relayed an interesting story about Caz. He was outside with the kids in Demi's daycare, playing in the back yard. The day was overcast and looking gloomy, but a rain free day thus far. Out of no where, a thunder clap sounded, extremely loud. As if an explosion took place 25 feet away. Caz jumped straight up out the sand box and started bolting for the house. Half way there he stopped, realized one of the small toddlers was there crying, picked up the toddler, and raced into the house. No, he didn't save a baby from a burning building, but you could extrapolate from his response that the reaction and instinct are similar. Demi told him how proud she was of him. She told him that if he had just bolted for the house, that would have been all right. But the fact that he stopped to help another child was something that he should feel very good about.
Now would I have told you about this story, had Caz just run in the house. Probably. Maybe only for the humor. But I would like to think I would be having the same discussion had he done so. I made a comment a while ago about Lefty looking for me to add a post where I completely screw up. I am sure it's coming Lefty but I will try to be more diligent about posting my mistakes as well. Believe me. I make my share. I probably make your share too.

No comments: