Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day of School - 2008

It's that time of year again: Back to School. The kids have the new school supplies in their backpacks. They are wearing the new school outfits. I usually take the day off to walk the boys up to the bus, take pictures, and see them off on their first day. But there is some doubt this year. Caz has expressed a desire to walk himself up to the bus this year. My oldest son may be too old and too cool to have Mom or Dad walk with him. Exacerbating the fact is that Caz recently issued an ultimatum to Demi that there would be no more kissing him in public. Demi was crushed. And I can commiserate. It's tough to see your offspring grow up and grow out of their need for you. Sure, it's a small thing, in and of itself. But it is also the first step. I can see the inevitable driver's licence is going to be an all hands on deck crisis, when the time comes.
In the end, I simply asked Caz a few nights before school started if I could walk him up to the bus. Just for the first day of course. He smiled and said yes. It did make me happy. And it all went according to plan. Gizmo accompanied us this year. That was a big thrill for Caz and Coco. They got to show her off to the other kids. Not that they hadn't seen her yet. But her first trip to the bus stop was a cause for celebration. And I got my pictures. I hugged each boy and wished them well on their first day. Another successful day. But in the back of mind, I can't help thinking: Was this my last with Caz?

No comments: