Saturday, February 12, 2011

Growing Up Brady

It's not always a cakewalk. In fact, you know I kid, parenting is just plain hard work. It hardly ever goes the way you want. Today was one of those days where you question why you wanted kids. In the end you remember why, but it can be a struggle for a bit.
I find it hard to know what is typical behavior for an 11, soon to be 12, year old kid. Especially, one with ADD. Our pediatrician is great. He actually has ADD too, so he can relate. He did jump right to a diagnosis either. But since then has been a voice of reason for us to bounce things off. He's the one that reminds us that there is a difference between "can't" and "won't". With ADD, there are certain things that Caz can't do. Shooting whatever phrase comes to mind out of his mouth, no matter how mean or spiteful is one of them. He does not have control over a filter. And in the heat of an argument or heated situation, it can be very frustrating. It takes all of my self control and patience not to respond to it. Sometimes, like today, I don't have enough of either. I don't always do the right thing. I try to learn from it and go forward. But it goes against my instincts and nature, not to take the insults personally. I know he feels bad afterwards and regrets saying them. It is something we both need to work on.

No comments: