Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pat's Run

Pat's Run. Tempe, AZ. 4.2 miles. Finish line - 42 yard line of Sun Devil Stadium. For the Pat Tillman Foundation. 28,000 + runners. What an amazing event. It is really something to be a part of. So many runners are staying in our hotel. The atmosphere is just amazing. Everyone is just happy and nice. Being there for a common cause has that feeling of unity and camaraderie. Just hanging out at the pool is something else. Sure there is sun and drinks. But the talk and laughter with military and law enforcement personnel is electric. Just a good group of folks talking about everything under the sun - Pat, patriotism, family, fun, etc. It's truly a feel good experience.
Coming into the parking lots where the starting corrals and Exp are, is just amazing. A sea of people come to run or watch the event. We start in the shadow of the peaks abutting Sun Devil Stadium. Just a quick jaunt over the river and back, right? It was perfect running weather. The a cool desert morning was the perfect back drop. The adrenaline rush definitely got to me. I probably wasn't in the running shape I was hoping. I finished. My time was not what I was hoping it to be. But that was not a concern. Crossing the finish line on that field, with people in the stand, the scoreboard lit up, the ASU football team lining the finish alley, and Demi waiting at the finish line (she stayed with me most of the race, toyed with me, and then dusted me to "take pictures" - she was great) was something that I will remember for the rest of my life.
Just milling around after the race was something else. Lots of runners were sticking around to see others finish. Military units were running in full gear. ASU players were signing autographs for kids. The Expo was full of booths and activities. I went to Sparky's to buy a Pat Tillman College Football Hall of Fame T-shirt for Demi and me. Demi had gone back for the camera. We met back up in Reunion Square (a meeting place the Race Committee set up with Alphabet cards for people to meet up after the race), took some pictures, and then hike up the preserve overlooking the stadium. Go run a race and then for a hike right? On top of the preserve, someone was erecting a light up cross. I don't know if it was coincidence or not but seemed interesting.
There was some well deserved pool time afterward. Back with the other runners. I could definitely see myself doing it again.

No comments: