Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Tillman Story

I had the kids and Demi watch the DVD of The Tillman Story about Pat Tillman. I want the boys to see a bit about him and maybe understand why I was going to AZ to run in Pat's Run. Pat's Run is a charity fund raising event for the Pat Tillman Foundation, which supports military personnel and their families through education and community service. Leadership is a main focus which is important to communicate to the kids.
The Tillman Story is not easy to watch even as an adult. It is yet another opportunity for a family discussion. Family. That is a major them throughout the movie. It is not just about Pat. The Tillman family had to deal with so much adversity, yet they stayed strong and true to themselves. That was compelling factor in wanting to participate in Pat's Run. You just wanted to do something for the family, even in some small way. You appreciate the family strength as a unit and hope yours is just as strong.
The boys asked some well thought out questions. The got that the story was more than just a football player that enlisted in the Army Rangers. I know it had an impact on Caz. He was tearing up during the movie. Coco was locked in too. I think they got that one has to question what one is told. Conspiracy theorist designation and condemnation be damned. You have to ask questions, do your own research, and come to one's own conclusions. I get the sense from reading about Pat, that that is how he looked at life. I have no way of knowing of course, but the excerpts of his personal journals in Where Men Win Glory, seem to suggest that he always wanted information and to learn. I would surmise that is where he military scholarships from the Pat Tillman Foundations started from.
I think the boys got a lot out of watching the documentary. They certainly asked good questions. It generated a good family discussion. And I think we all benefited from having seen it. I think they understand why it is important to me to go out to AZ and participate in Pat's Run.

No comments: