Monday, July 23, 2012

The Decision

We had been dancing around it for weeks.  I tried to feel out Caz.  I wanted to see how much he knew.  Then Bam Bam came by to throw the football around with us.  He casually asked Caz, "Are you going to play football this year?"  I held my breath while I waited for him to respond.
     I should explain.  Duxbury's two football leagues for children, merged this offseason.  The town now has one program.  What does that mean?  That means Caz had to go back and play for the coach that drove him out of DYF.  That means I need to got with hat in hand and asked to coach with him.  I will gladly do that, swallowing my pride, if it means Caz plays football.  I know the decision is weighing in his mind.  That terrible season still haunts us.  I will do what I have to.  I will stay quiet.  I won't be negative in front of the kids.
     I took Caz out for ice cream.  I asked him to sit there quietly and eat his cone, while I did some talking.  The short version, is that I told him I knew it wouldn't be easy.  For either of us.  The right thing rarely is easy.  But you can't let fear dictate your decision.  Yes, it really does lead to the Dark Side.  I did give him an out clause.  But he had to make an attempt first.  In the end, Caz decided to give it a shot.  I really think it goes back to the wonderful season he had last year.  How is a a 1-8 season wonderful?  Well, you really have to understand the point of youth sports to get it.  If you don't, no one can explain it to you.

No comments: