Saturday, December 8, 2018

Birthday 2018

This year, Caz is off at Auburn.  Coco is working.  Coco was also battling the IBS, which kept him in bed late.  Caz called to wish me a happy birthday.  Coco’s first words to me today were to wish me a happy birthday.  I felt like this was a glimpse of birthdays yet to come.  It is just going to be Demi and me.
     I would say the Demi and I will thrive as empty-nesters when the time comes.  We had the most amazing day.  We started out hitting a speed bump.  The first place we tried to grab a bite was closing.  After that, it was smooth sailing.  The Duxbury Rural Historical Society hosted a Christmas Open House.  The theme was the Wizard of Oz.  It might seem like an odd holiday pairing, but the decorators made it work.  The Emerald City theme really sizzled in the arrangements they came up with.
     We finally did get a snack at the Oysterman.  We got a harvest salad, fish tacos and oyster stew.  It was just enough to keep me going but not impact dinner.  I hadn’t really eaten all day.  Demi was just gnoshing.  The Army/Navy game played on the TV.  We had excellent conversations.  It was almost over too soon.
     The final stop was the Heritage Garden Museum.  They staged a holiday spectacular on their ground.  It is called Gardens Aglow.  Christmas lights were alight everywhere.  Lighted paths directs observers through the different areas of the park.  A group of fire pits allowed families to warm up or to toast marshmallows for S’mores.  A donut truck sold homemade cider or chocolate donuts.  Cafes sold hot chocolate, mulled wine, cider and assorted treats.  Santa held court in an antique Cadillac.  An old fashioned carousel, spun children around and around.  A father & son duo carved ice sculptures with cutouts for poses.  Demi and I held hands while meandered through it all.
     Dinner became an audible.  We weren’t starving , so we waited until we got closer to home.  We dined well at Solstice.  Dessert stole the show.  My warm gingerbread with eggnog ice cream tasted amazing.  Apparently, Coco was out shopping for my birthday present while we were eating.  The three of us met up at home later on.  What a day!  Both Demi and I were astounded at how perfect a day we had.  I think the days to come, birthdays or not, will be perfect too.

No comments: