Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Parting Shot

"The iron tongue of midnight hath tolled twelve"

During my college commencement ceremonies (which was longer ago than I would care to admit), my college president William "Billy the Kid" Cotter (Colby College - www.colby.edu) imparted one piece of really solid advice to my fellow graduates and me. I will paraphrase but the sage wisdom was this "wherever you go, out in the world, always carry a good book." To that point, I had already considered myself an avid reader. But as I went on my way, I found myself remembering this bit. I still pack a book for the normal stints at the beach, the doctor's office, the morning commute (on the train of course - I will save my rant on those that read the paper while driving for another time), and when I have a quiet moment to myself. But I will also carry a book on a hike, to get my car inspected, events at my kids school, etc.

You never know when you will have time to kill and have to wait. Admittedly, I am not the most up to date technologically. But I enjoy my Ipod shuffle, my travel DVD player, cell phone, and on occasion, my Blackberry. But a book will never run out of batteries. It's light (paperbacks, anyway) and portable. There is always the newspaper too. I like my actual paper. eBooks look cool, but give me a good, bound tome any day of the week. I have been thankful many times during extended airline delays, doctor's visits, waiting for concert tickets, or even just waiting for a ride.

Think about it.

No comments: