Monday, July 2, 2007

Let Freedom Ring

I mentioned in an earlier post that each family needs their own family traditions. I have my own fond memories of being a child, celebrating the 4th of July at Fieldston Beach in Marshfield. My grandparents had a beach house there for a long time and even after they sold it, the old neighbors would welcome us back on the night of July 3rd to watch the annual bonfires and fireworks. One of the neighbor's sons was a truck driver and on his way through runs in the South, would pick up fireworks. I remember one year that he boasted on spending $2,000 on fireworks.

I believe when Demi and I moved back to Duxbury, the town started some 4th of July activites at the beach including a bands, food, kid's entertainment, and finishing the night off with a bonfire. We started going a few years ago with the kids. We were joined by RJ and his family, and a few other friends and neighbors. Last year, it was like our own little cocktail party. We had all kinds of appetizers, drinks (including margaritas), and dinner. I was actually as sick as a dog with a fever, but I did my best to rally. This year, I just had the boys, since Demi was away. But still, we had some friends to hang out with, and it was a really nice evening. I look forward to next year.

As we celebrate our Independence, I would like to say thank you to those who ensure our Freedom in the Armed Forces. May good fortune smile on you and see you home safely.

No comments: