Sunday, July 15, 2007

Watering Hole

Recently, Caz and I were reading about Tom Sawyer and swimming in a watering hole. That reminded me to post this: Swimming lessons are a solid investment. Every child should know how to swim. I know Demi and I felt the kids needed to know how to swim because we are at the beach so much. My parents have a pool that my kids use almost on a daily basis in the summer time. Many of their friends have pools. Now of course, at six and eight the kids are still not out our site around water, but they can swim well. They can do laps to the deep end and back. The can jump in and swim back, safely to the edge. Demi has arranged for lessons, every summer for years now and it has really paid off. I can see improvement every time we get in the water together. Coco, who is our daredevil, always thought he could swim, had no fear and would want to jump right in. Now he can jump in and swim the length of the pool. I put it right up there with reading and writing. It's a survival skill.

No comments: