Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Win

In my mind, I could only see the headline from the Globe after Sox won the 2004 World Series: "FINALLY!!!!" It was almost 3 years in the making, but we finally managed win for Coco's football team. I kept hearing for weeks leading up to our contest with DY, that they were not a strong team. But a team of perennial O-fers cannot claim to be better than anyone until you beat them. I really had to tune that talk out. I didn't want to get my hopes up, let alone the team. Plus, I would never try to give a pep talk by deriding the other team.
The team was ready from the first whistle and owned DY today. They really played well in all aspects of the game. Though we practiced the Wildcat in pregame, it was scrapped since it was not going well. We could have just run up the middle the entire game. But we were actually able to pass. We ran outside. And we pulled off our first ever punt. Yep. A punt. Who'd a thunk it? To be honest the play call made me nervous at first. But I guess if you pull it off, then it's a good call, right?
The boys were really excited after the game. I thought they composed themselves well and didn't excessively celebrate. The showed great sportsmanship. I know I was smiling all the way home. It made that long ride very enjoyable. I was just happy that the kids got experience a win after all their hard work. They have really played well and up until today, didn't have a lot to show for it. They deserved a win. I couldn't wait to get home to upload the game to our website for the kids. I even put it on my IPod, so I could watch it on my way to work. Crazy, I know. But can you really blame me?

No comments: