Saturday, August 28, 2010

Jamboree 2010

A preseason Jamboree. I really didn't think the kids needed three preseason scrimmages. I think at this age, the kids really need to practice and not have to worry about scrimmages. But I must say, this Jamboree was a lot of fun. It helped that the team played well. It was a great team effort. We weren't relying on one or two kids to overachieve. It was perfect football weather. We are playing in Rockland, which is like playing in Yankee Stadium to me. Arch rivals growing up, I am pretty sure they still hate Duxbury. So it was extra sweet beating the home team in the final game of the Mite series.
What really got me was what happened in the parking lot after. Now keep in mind, for me, this was the place that I learned to really lay a lick on someone. While playing youth football, that was the site of one of my hardest hits. The game was the beginning of the rivalry with Rockland for my friends and me. Coach told us to keep our mouths shut and not to draw any stupid penalties. But they built up the rivalry so much, that I couldn't help myself. After I hit that kids, I had to celebrate a bit. I pumped by fist and just lingered a second to long over him and glared. As I walked away I said, "Take that, turkey." I had watched too much Happy Days and we were way to scared of the coaches to curse. That was the best I had. As the years went, coach told that story to the players that came later. What I said kept amping up and became more colorful in each telling.
This was also the place that we had to wear our helmets on the bus going to this stadium because you never knew when a rock might come through the window. This rivalry went too far. So when Coco and I walked through the parking lot and two Rockland kids smiled and said, "good game." It took me complete by surprise. Coco and I returned the sentiment and I smiled to myself for some time after that. It should be all about the sportsmanship. You should be able to go knock a team around for a game and then shake hands after. Maybe we are doing something right.

No comments: