Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Saga Continues

Years after The Super Bowl incident, I am still living with the aftermath. I do hear in the wind the whispers of those who fear DYF because the program is "cut throat" and "only cares about winning." Despite the fact that I got on the Board to make sure the program remains about the kids and not the aspirations of the parents, I still have to deal with the bull generate by what happened to Caz's team years ago. I still get parents that are nervous to sign up for my team because they lump me in with the knuckleheads that chose poorly.
This theme cropped up again just before equipment hand-out. A player new to the team just happened by the shed with his mom, right after I had left. I had just met Demi there with Coco and his friend, Biggie Smalls, to outfit them with equipment. The mom started asking Demi questions about DYF. She communicated that she was nervous about what she had heard about DYF. They had just moved to town and the mom was afraid that her son might not get a fair shake not having been on the team last year. She didn't want him just sitting on the bench. Demi assured her that I didn't run the team like that. If it hadn't been my team, I know Demi might not have said too much and certainly not stumped for DYF. But it was my team and as fate has it, Demi was there to lobby on my behalf. She sold it well. She told the truth. And in the end, this player decided to stay with my team. Thank you dear. I know you always have my back.

No comments: