Saturday, August 14, 2010

Beach Party 2010

The last time I went to the annual Duxbury Beach fund raiser, I was on the hook for half a villa in Tuscany. (OK, so that turned out beyond great, but still.....) Lefty's wife was organizing the event. I figured if it was half as good as their Halloween bash, then it would be a great time and well worth the expense of a babysitter. Since it was last minute, we decided to see who was around for a pre-party cocktail (or two or three). I am not really the most spontaneous person in the world, but I do like the random nature of these little get-togethers. I dialed up QBert and Coach Lenny to see if they could come by, talk football, and catch up. Coach Lenny was tied up but QBert was on board.
QBert and I had a ball smoking stogies and drinking Dark&Stormies out on the porch. His wife, Norma Rae, was lovely and fit right in the Demi and the gals. We really did talk football and about Caz's team. We mapped out a new defense. We talked up hope for the new season. And we pontificated on the finer points of conditioning, blocking, and tackling. QBert is a former DHS Dragon player too. We played for a lot of the same coaches. I couldn't quite get him to go to the party though. He didn't want to see a lot of the old alums.
The party was a great time. It was a good night, the band rocked, and the tent was set up perfectly. Demi was in a dancing mood, which is a rare occasion. I really enjoy nights like this with her. It's probably melodramatic but I like it when it's the two of us against the world (so to speak). We are not conquering but we are out, having our own fun. We let others in but are not dependent on them. We create and make our own good time.

No comments: