Sunday, November 9, 2014

NH 2014

We managed to take our family fall getaway vacation after all.  I was nervous that we would not be able to go with Coco's anxiety out of control.  This weekend was a victory.  Coco got out of the house for a whole weekend.  He did ask about the length of the car ride once.  And he did ask about the length of our intended hike.  But he was really great.  He didn't issue a single complaint.  He handled the entire excursion well.
     We spent the weekend in Jackson, NH.  We hadn't been up in the area for a few years.  Too long.  The boys did have some good memories of our previous visits.  They were able to reminisce a bit.  Coco had his weekend planned out by meals.  He counted the number of possible meals we would have up there.  He then listed his favorite eateries up there.  Of course, I told him that some of us might want to have some input into that.  I think he humored me, but summarily ignored me.  We did visit some of our favorite haunts, Glen Junction and the Flatbread Company.  We tried for the Shannon Door but it was too crowded due to a private party.
     We did a new hike.  We followed the trail to Tuckerman's Ravine.  We didn't summit.  But we did hike a little over an hour up and then an hour back.  That was huge progress for Coco.  He was fine through all of it.  We saw a really amazing waterfall.  It was cool but not cold.  The boys and I had our Camelbaks.  It has snowed a bit.  Just enough to make footing a bit slippery.  It was a nice walk in the woods.
     I chalk this up as a win.  Coco was a champ.  I am very proud of him.  I hope it leads to better days ahead.

No comments: