Sunday, November 18, 2018

Happy 80th Birthday

to my father.  The man who set the standard of what it means to be a father, for me.  The man came to this country, on his own, on a slow boat from China.  Immigration in San Francisco assigned him a name and a birth date.  He was taken by friends from San Francisco to live in Virginia because there was no room at his parents place in NYC.  He served in the USMC.  He worked multiple jobs while finishing college in night school.  He graduated when I was 4 years old.  He still worked multiple jobs to provide for his family. 
     My Dad supported everything we did.  He was a guru designing Pinewood Derby cars.  He filmed every sporting event we compete in, becoming the official videographer of the high school football team.  He did things he didn't really like, just to give us the opportunity to try things like sailing or camping.  A kid couldn't ask for a better father.  It is what I try to be for my sons.

No comments: