Friday, May 18, 2007

Eggs and Eggshells

I got to hold Tony's new baby, BJ, today. It really took me back. I hadn't held a baby that young and small in a long time. You forget how little they are. I found myself reminiscing about when my boys were just born. I really enjoyed the moment. Both for the reminiscing and introduction to my bud's new boy.

I realized that I didn't have that fear that I first had when Caz was first born. That fear that I was holding an egg and please, just don't drop it. I was careful with BJ of course, but I figured out that I gained that Dad experience. I knew the a new baby was fragile, but a lot tougher than you would think. It was like riding a bike and I just slipped back into the cradling mode. Actually I used a method I figured out on my boys. I keep the baby perpendicular to my chest, on his back, with his head in my hand. His back resting on my thighs, I use my arms as guard rails on either side of him. That way I can look into his face and just watch. Tony may have figured that one out already but if not, maybe I taught him something new.

Tony had a grin that just wouldn't go away. He was doting on his new son. I recognized that grin immediately. It's the same one I had. And still do have. Don't worry Tony. It doesn't go away.