Friday, April 11, 2008

Another Birthday Weekend

Happy 9th Birthday Caz!



My eldest son's last year in single digits. Halfway to college. What a frightening thought. And it's not all about the tuition either. I've said it before it and I will say it again, it goes too fast. Very cliche but that is not always a bad thing. There are good cliches. Classics.

Just when I thought we could scale down the birthday celebration, fate turned against me. Call me old fashioned (and I have been called worst), but I grew up with parties that had the half dozen or so kids in the neighborhood, a homemade cake, and a vigorous round of Pin the Tail on the Donkey. What's wrong with that? These extreme parties just irk me. What kids party needs a limo and tickets to Hannah Montana? Or party favors? We have to have parting gifts? Home version of the Price is Right (my generation will get that)? Not that we have ever tried to keep up with the Joneses. But sure, the peer pressure is there. We just resist it. But I do find we make some small accommodations, so as not to ruffle feathers. It's crap.

But I digress (yes, I know. I tend to do that). Caz's party was a success. Even with rain falling while they were climbing a rock wall. He had fun. We had fun. In the end, I guess that is all that matters.

No comments: