Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dad's Summer Vacation

Well, I finally got some vacation time. Originally, the main purpose behind taking this particular week off was to cart the kids around to camp. I think it was going to be a kayaking class/camp. That's pretty typical. I have taken off weeks in the summer before for football preseason and baseball camps before. When doesn't life revolve around the kids?
The start of this vacation was great. The family attended the Futures at Fenway. I think this is the third time the Red Sox have done this. During a road trip for the big club, the ownership has two of the minor league affiliates play a double header at Fenway to showcase the farm league talent and potential futures major league stars. It is really a great take. We had the best seats that we have ever had at Fenway, behind the home plate area, to the third base side, just past where the netting stops. We were not the first area by the fence but the next section up. We had all four seats in our row, so no one on either side of us. All day, both games, $20 a ticket. That is great. The Sox put in extra activities out on Yawkey way, pitching cages, batting cages, and even a rock climbing wall. Talk about your family friendly event.
A lot of folks will consider vacation a disaster if it rains. The rain moved in on Sunday but no worries here. There is plenty of inside things to do. And I can get caught up on movies. I wanted to start my pet project outside, a brick BBQ pit/smoker. That may not happen with the rain but I can get a start anyway. I went to Lowes and got the makings for the base, some 4x8x16 patio bricks, some base sand, and some concrete. A stone mason, I am not. I am about to be self taught. Ought to be interesting. Hopefully, I do not cement my shoes and sleep with the fishes like Luka.

No comments: