Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Very St. Patty's DYF Meeting

Miserable underbelly of youth sports, part two. I have been dreading this night. The candidate for head coach (HC) of Caz's would be team came before the board to present his side of Super Bowl Gate. I may have been overly polite and leaned towards the PC side, but I did address him. I wanted him to state his thoughts on the season. As he was speaking, all I could think of was the Costanza-ism, "it's not a lie, if you believe it." I actually did agree with him on few things, but overall I have a hard time fathoming how he can see it his way. I know it happens, and everyone has their view. But I honestly don't get it.
What really got me was the dishonest. For a coach that makes his team chant "Honor" at the end of every practice and game, the past two meetings were so dishonest, that I needed a shower to get the dirt off me. You have last year's HC saying that he didn't really run the team and that this year's HC was the guy running the show. So he couldn't have been responsible for the oversight of not playing kids. Plus, substitutions were delegate to an assistant. The assistant who is leaving and was the well like HC the previous season. How convenient. And this year's HC saying that he wasn't HC last year. It would have been different under him. Really? Two grown men hide behind each other like this? And their mouth piece, who joined the Board with me just playing Ed McMahon "yes, you are correct sir."
I feel like I am fighting a losing battle. But I guess the important thing is that I am fighting. I fight my way. I am more calculated. I like to plan out my argument. I do try to take the emotional factor out of it. I think it may be hampering my efforts. But then what happens? He who shouts loudest wins? That is the example we want to set? Wouldn't that make me as bad as them?

No comments: