Friday, June 5, 2009

The Loss

"No parent should ever have to outlive their children"

On the morning of our departure to The Island to scatter the ashes of Nanny Lil, we learned of terrible news involving our friends and neighbor. The same friends had lost their 23 year old daughter 2 1/2 years ago in a car accident. Now, there remaining son, 29, was missing and presumed dead on a kayaking trip in Vail, CO. Quickly the story updated to it's fateful conclusion. Demi and I were very upset and felt just horrible for our friends. All I wanted to do was to take the kids out of school and make sure they were OK. It makes you want to hug your kids and never let them go. But you know you can't do that, no matter how much you want to. You have to let them go, to live their own lives, make their own choices, and face their own adversity. I know I am not quite ready for that yet. And I still have a good 8-12 years before I really have to let go. But that time will go quickly. How will I ever be ready?

No comments: