Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Movie Review - Star Trek

I have to confess that I was really excited to see the new Star Trek. I was very curious to see how good it was. I was anxious to see how they would treat a young Kirk and Spock. I was interested to see the influence of JJ Abrams on the movie. I wasn't that concerned about the casting. Whoever was cast, had a great challenge ahead of them. I really didn't envision taking the kids to this one. But it ended up that I took Coco. Yes, I took the younger child. It was a PG-13 rating, which they had seen before. I figured it was mostly action violence, like Star Wars. Maybe some language concerns. The only troubling thing for me was Kirk's proclivity for sleeping with women. I figured Demi and I could cover his eyes and ears if need be.
This movie was fantastic. The story was great. The back story on the beloved main characters was well crafted and presented well. There was an excellent cameo. The action was fast and furious. The effects were incredible (a far cry from the technology available to the original series). The actors seemed to pay the right amount of homage to the original characters while putting their own stamp on the roles. I don't see any Oscars, but these folks started with the deck stacked against them, by arguable the most ravenous fan base in the world. They should receive a lot of credit for the work they did. Coco walked out flashing the Vulcan V sign and murmuring "live long and prosper". I give it 4.5 Chinnies.

No comments: