Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Challenge

I really wanted the kids to continue their well established reading habits over the summer, after school ended. So I issued a challenge to both of them. I had tried showing Caz a few options to pick a book on his own. But he still seemed to need a bit of a prompt. I ended up sort of picking for him. I used a selected cover story and some salesmanship to push a kids classic, "A Wrinkle in Time". I actually don't remember much about it, other than I enjoyed it. Based on his current reading choices, it should be right up his alley.
For Coco, I really raised the bar for him. I challenged him to read one of the Harry Potter books. I figured it would keep him busy most of the summer. I also knew it would help with the build up for the new movie. It would also reinforce a discussion we had had about why books were better than movies. We talked about how movies had to change stories and couldn't include every detail the book had in it.
I am excited to see how the boys do with this reading challenge. I hope they take it to heart.

No comments: