Friday, July 3, 2009

Coming Home

My brother and sister in-law bring my niece home today. It's always exciting, that first trip home with the new baby. I remember putting the car seat in the back of my old, been around the block (OK, quite a few blocks) silver Buick Century. I checked and re-checked the set up to make sure it was by the book. And then I checked it again. I drove like a first time driver right after getting that learner's permit. I checked my rearview and sideview mirrors before starting the car. I flashed my turn signal very early. I probably put it on when I was even thinking about turning. I drove exactly the speed limit. I remember pulling into the driveway. It was sort of like crossing the threshold, the first time as a married couple. Honestly, it was a bit better with the baby. That may have had a lot to do with not being 2 AM after a long night of celebrating and knowing I had to get up in a few hours to leave for the airport. I hope little brother finds it just as exciting.

No comments: