Monday, November 9, 2009

Adventures in NH

Family vacation time again. I am so glad that we are able to get back on track and take a weekend hiatus this year. We really missed it last season. Football season with two kids is always hectic. But this season, with kids in two leagues, it was even more so. I think Demi and I actually worked a bit harder, so that we didn't short either league with our volunteering. Although, I think if you asked either league, they may not have agreed. You can only be in one place at one time. Fortunately, there was not a whole lot of overlap during games.
I really enjoy our weekends in NH. This time of year is just so peaceful there. It's after summer resort, lake, and family attraction season but still before ski season. We did some of our usual hikes. But this year we got to share them with my brother and his family. It's like seeing the place for the first time. You get a fresh perspective with the rookies along. It was nice to spend some time with them too.
I think we ate a whole herd of cattle though. BBQ almost every night. Coco started the trend. He ordered the ribs the first night and ended up with the best meal by far. We ordered him a full rack figuring we would pitch in, but that little bugger ate the lion's share by far. I don't know where he packs it on that skinny frame. Here I was trying to set a good example by ordering something I hadn't eaten before. Rainbow trout. It was fine. Demi hated it, and she loves fish. But I got scrod. I should have gone with my initial instinct and gotten the burger.
The boys really traveled well. No DVD player. No movies. They actually napped a bit. No bickering. We played some family games. The "initial game". There are actually two version of that game. The traditional you have to name a famous person who's first name begins with the first letter of the last name the player before you uses. Double letters reverses directions. In college this was played with the "drink while you think rule". Then there is guessing the initials. The person has to be known to all players. It usually ends up being a hybrid of 20 questions too.
That is the quality family time that is precious. That is what these trips are all about.

No comments: