Monday, November 30, 2009

Christmas Magic

Well, I believe we reached another parenting milestone last night. Milestone may not be the right word though. I don't want to imply that it was some achievement that was reached. You just seem to know when you have one of those moments in your life as a parent that is significant in the development of your child. You just know, in that moment, that your child and you will remember it for the rest of your lives. Because you remember when this particular event from your own childhood.
Last night we had the Santa talk with Caz. To be fair, Demi did most of the talking. Caz finally got the nerve to ask about Santa outright. I think we were fortunate to get this far. I think Caz has some serious suspicions last year. But he still had enough of that fear of "what if I am wrong" to keep him from asking or actively trying to verify his hypothesis. This year, he overcame that fear and fired that shot across the bow. But it was still posed with a lot of hesitation. Demi caught the brunt of it. She tried to appeal to me for help with the patented eyebrow raise. But I was really concerned that I was not catching the right signal. I really didn't know which way she wanted me to go. No way was I blowing this one. I hadn't caught the first few questions. The last thing we needed was to take a pitch when a hit and run was called. It wouldn't be the first time. By the end of it though, Caz had his answer. He also seemed to understand that this conversation was top secret. He was not to discuss this with any of his friends, and especially not with his brother. I think he got the point. I remember my own conversation with my parents. Having a little brother, I got the same follow up talk. And I got the point too.

No comments: