Thursday, November 26, 2009

Turkey Bowl 2009

Happy Thanksgiving! Football and food. This could be the best holiday every conceived. Almost. This has actually been on of the Top Thanksgivings in Chin lore. Usually it is the days leading in the create the stress. I can't really complain, as Demi does the lion share of the work and preparation. But I feel like I can't sit when I get home at night that week of Thanksgiving. There's cleaning, brine, prep work, and the general organized chaos that goes with each holiday. Even more so when you are the household hosting the big meal. I dreaded the lead in even more than in years past, since Demi was very sick the weekend before this Thanksgiving. This may have actually lessened the stress, since she could not be up and about until 2 days before. I did actually try to clean the place but believe it or not, that is normal. I generally clean a lot on weekends. While I cook the boys breakfast, I seem to constantly be cleaning up the kitchen. Boys are indeed gross. They make a mess. You would be surprised by the debris they leave in their wake when the just pour themselves a drink. Even sick and with limited time, Demi outdid herself this year. I think she had the perfect amount of appetizers, sides and turkey. The turkey itself was outstanding. Between the brine and the hours she spent on line tyring to find the perfect way to cook a bird, this was the juiciest turkey ever. Coco was actually her sous chef. He was great. He was full arm deep into the bird, rubbing butter and spices under the skin and on the skin. He stuffed the cavity with veggies and herbs. He peeled the sweet potatoes and orchestrated the whole sweet potato casserole with crushed pecan topping. He was very proud of himself, and he earned it. Demi should be proud of herself as well.

No comments: