Saturday, November 13, 2010

Scouting Out A New Activity

The boys have decided to have a go at scouting this year. Demi has been doing a ton of research about it. A lot has changed since I went through Cub Scouts as a kid. And Caz was old enough that he would have to start in Boy Scouts, rather than Cub Scouts. That is completely new territory. I know she's had to make a ton of phone calls. Today was Coco's second meeting and it's a 2 hour Father/Son event. I had no prep going in. It turns out that today's event was first run through for an all day competitions, the Klondike Derby, where the boys will compete as a troop. Today was a course in knot tying, knife safety and fire building/saftey. Fire safety would have come in handy earlier, when I turned my back on the chimenea for a moment. The fire spilled out, sparked the leaves on the ground and sent up my grandparents old porch swing. Oh the irony. At least, Coco and I had fun later tying knots the rest of the afternoon.

No comments: