Friday, December 16, 2011

XMas on the Island - 2011

The annual family trek to the Island. It's a total crap shoot on driving time. You can leave at any time and it can take 4 hours or it can take 10 hours. You just never know. I had to delay the departure anyway. One of my presents to Demi was a new radio for the Pilot. This radio she can use to plug in her iPod. I showed up to my installation appointment early in hopes to speed up the process and get on the road a bit early than expected. It worked. I got in and out early.
We still chose to work in a stop for an early dinner not too far into the ride. I figured it would help thin out the evening commute. I also figured a full belly would help the kids settle in and maybe nap a bit. Not too long. I don't want them up late when we do get to NY. What I didn't count on was the chili cheese fries and buffalo wings for Coco. That is a bad menu for a long car ride. But it was Caz and his breakfast for dinner that wreaked havoc. He stunk. Must have been the sausage.
The boys played a bit on Demi's iPad. But for the most part they read their kindles. Caz did a bit of his homework. I got in a nap and some reading. That was novel for me. I have been able to do either for a long time.
We lost a half hour in Darien. I swear they have been doing constructions on that stretch of 95 all 15 years I have been going to the Island. Friggin' CT.

No comments: