Thursday, July 10, 2014

Father/Son Night

This could have been a disaster of a night.  Caz had been home all day, unsupervised.  He had slept late.  He claimed to have done everything on his list.  I couldn't get out of work early, as planned.  Demi was in NY for a funeral.  Coco was at his cousin's.
     On the way home, I decided to try to make it a guys night.  I walked in, said hi.  I told him that I was going to change and after I did, we would go get ourselves running shoes.  I promised dinner too.  He was very agreeable.  He shut off the TV and got ready to head out.
     He was really a good sport in the store.  He let the store clerks watch him walk, study his movement, and see him run.  They trotted out 6 different styles of shores.  He tried them all on.  He even chuckled when we remarked about his reserved nature, eschewing the more exotic colors and styles.  He did up his game and settled on some new running shoes with some wild trim.  Baby steps.
     Then we went over to Windy City Dogs, for hot dogs.  He got a giant corn dog, double cheeseburger and fries.  We watched the end of the Sox game.  A walk off win  We had some great conversation.  He even took the good natured ribbing, as I tried to pry some information on a girl he had his eye on, out of him.  We went out for ice cream after.  I let him pick his favorite place.
     When we got home, we settled onto the couch.  I read to him for a long time.  Somewhere along the line, he fell asleep.  It was just like when he was a toddler.  It was really a perfect evening.

No comments: