Friday, February 6, 2015

The Biggest Shortest Week

With the snow days, the kids only had two and a half days of school this week.  There was a scheduled administrative day today.  However, the week was a big step for Coco.  He made it to almost every class this week.
     Of course, there were struggles.  Demi and I had some real tests of patience and wills this week.  The mornings were very stressful.  Coco started with the stomach pains Wednesday and Thursday morning.  The prospects of a full day and dealing with math were weighing on him.  Science seemed to trouble him as well.  Wednesday was my day.  I thought I fared well.  I reassured him that I believed his pains were real.  I supported him by telling him I believed in him.  Then I went 2004 Red Sox on him.  I broke it down into manageable, smaller wins for him.  "One step at a time."

Get Dressed
Brush your teeth
Brush your hair
Shoes on
Coat on
Get in the car

I almost lost him at brush your teeth.  He went into the bathroom and locked the door.  He started to revert back to camping out on the toilet.  I talked to him calmly from the behind the door.  He reacted well.  It was a balancing act between coaxing and supporting.  Demi came along and helped close the deal.  She got him in the car.  He tried to barter his way down from a full day but Demi was having none of it.  Of course, our ace in the hole was his new phone.  He wanted it.  The deal was he goes back to school, full time, and all the time.  Then he gets his phone.  That carrot likely won't last long.  But maybe we don't need it to last too long.  Hopefully.  We will see.

No comments: