Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Big Bang Theory

It seems the most popular question that I am getting from friends lately is, "why did you start this?" Mostly, I think this stems from not knowing just how much I do write. They know I write the family's yearly holiday letter/poem. That usually goes over fairly well. But I don't think a lot of people knew how much I tend to write on a semi-regular basis. It's funny how having children alters your schedule.

It's not that I have actively hidden it up until now. I just didn't actively advertise it either. I am reminded of my freshmen year in college. I had been on campus about two months and had made friends with a senior in my dorm that lived directly below me. We still didn't know a whole lot about each other but we liked to hang out. Paul had a friend that was a junior, Earl, who I was also getting to know. Well I came down to Paul's room one evening to see what was going on and if I had to guess, see about having a beer. Paul and Earl were dressed up in sport coats looking reading to head out. I asked them, "What's up? Where are you going?" They looked like the proverbial deer in the head lights. They looked at each other hoping the other was going to answer. Finally one of them confessed, "ah, we're going to a poetry reading." I think they figured me for the stereo-typical former high school jock and I might make fun of them. They both visibly sighed with relief when I answered, "Oh. That's cool." I think I surprised them. I like surprising people.

The "why?" part I think I have answered. "Why now?" Why not now. Blogs are an effective medium. My kids are older now and more self sufficient, which allows me a bit more time for some extracurricular activities. So yes Dad-to-be, you will get some time for yourselves. But before you go joining the golf league, you may want to see if they have a 5-7 year wait list.

I also figure that I have a few years of perspective under my belt. I am still learning as I go, but I would say that I have been called up from AAA for the Show. It's a pretty decent analogy because I could be sent back down at anytime. While I am up in the Show, I might as well impart what I have learned on to the guys I know (or don't know) that are about to break into A ball.

No comments: