Wednesday, November 28, 2007

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Black Friday. Cyber Monday. 4 AM store openings. Door prizes. Complete craziness. Once again, I find myself in a balancing act. Of course, I want the boys to be excited for Christmas and Santa. But I don't want them over saturated by the commercial hype. The usual commercials during cartoons are bad enough the rest of the year and my boys don't get to watch a whole lot of TV. Do I really need a blitz campaign to start the holiday shopping season?
Taking the kids to the football game on Thanksgiving kept them from seeing the Macy's parade and all the hype with that. So for Black Friday? I took the boys hiking. No, my main objective was not to keep them out of the stores. My goal was to spend time outside with the boys. But what a great fringe benefit. With an early Turkey Day, it's going to be a long wait until Christmas. The letters to Santa are being drafted as I write this. Ready or not....

No comments: