Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy New Year 2009 - Post Script

Post Script - The actual election and annual meeting was an interesting event. My whole rationale for throwing my hat in the ring was to work to ensure that the kids involved with DYF walked away with the same positive experience I had when I played. I certainly wasn't running to prevent someone else who was running from being elected. There ended up being 4 candidates for 2 open positions. And the annual meeting had more attendees than I had ever seen. That is a nice problem to have.Even is some of the reasoning was misguided and the inevitable small town politics reared it ugly head. All I ask is that if someone is questioning my actions or intentions that they ask me directly. If I can't say something directly to someone that I shouldn't say it at all.And I will be honest. Maybe painfully so. But the grapevine stuff is just so ridiculous. Have we reverted to junior high? People made assumptions about alliances and allegiances. As far as I know, there was no negative campaigning done. A few folks took it upon themselves to send supportive emails on my behalf to those they felt had similar ideals. Isn't that the true democratic process. But really, arguing over the order of the candidates on the ballot. Having an angry spouse berate another board member over some of these emails when she hadn't in fact seen the text of the mail is ludicrous. Or another spouse crying and ranting uncontrollably after the results are announce? There's no crying in football. Ever. Which is why Brett Favre should have never been allowed back to play this past season. And I am not just saying that because the Jets would have still had Pennington and Miami would have probably been mediocre at best. Discussion for another day.

No comments: