Wednesday, March 14, 2012

D Day

I guess it had to happen.  The stars had to align at some point.  The perfect conditions came to be at the same time.  No, not Armageddon.  Not in the global sense anyway.
     The boys decided on the same night, when Demi and I had zero rest and a short span of patience, to act their worst.  Looking back, it was not about one common thing.  They didn't unite to overthrow the Empire or anything.  They each had their own issues.  They both chose to take our their dispositions on Mom and Dad.  One was overly emotional  The other was just angry.  Raging hormones?  Full moon?  Who can say?
     I will say this though, I was extremely happy with the way that this guy responded.  Sure, I could have yelled and screamed.  I could have responded with anger.  I had every avenue to do so.  I was short on sleep.  I had my own long day at the office.  But I resisted those impulses.  I can't say from where I drew the strength. But I rallied hard.  I didn't raise my voice one.  I exercised a great deal of patience.  I sat the boys down, looked them in the eye and told them that this night could not continue like it was.  I told them that it was unacceptable and that we were starting over.  I gave them each a few minutes to count to 100, breathe deep, whatever they needed to do to calm down.  The I set Caz back to his homework, and had Coco help me with dinner.  I went over board to manners, using "Please" and "Thank you" more than was necessary.  And the boys responded.  They held themselves in check.  They were positive with each other,  We changed the night for the better.

No comments: