Monday, March 5, 2012

The March Towards Progess

The Lizard King has been trying hard lately to control himself.  Caz has been trying to think before he lashes out. He's working on controlling those raging hormones and emotions.  He is putting some thought into what he is about to say, before firing something fresh off immediately.  No, it's not perfect.  But that is not realistic.  I have to acknowledge the effort and the fact there is a level of consistency with this effort.  Positive reinforcement.  Hopefully that will encourage him to continue.  Baby steps, right?  "Baby steps to the elevator...."
     In turn, Dad has been making more of an effort to keep himself in check too.  I try to repeat myself calmly over and over.  I had a longer threshold of that early on but these preteen years brought it down.  I know I have to work extra hard to speak clearly, hold eye contact, and have Caz repeat things because of the ADD.  I know I have to parse out tasks, one at a time, rather than giving a laundry list to him all at once.  It's really different from how I think, so it's not natural.  But I have to make it work.  It's for Caz's benefit.  That's what Dads are supposed to do, right?

No comments: