Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patrick's 5K

Caz ran his first race ever today.  I am very proud of him.  It took a little convincing.  And some incentive.  About an hour or so of XBOX.  But it was worth it.
     I signed up for this 5K a few days ago.  It was held over in Marsh Vegas in Brant Rock. The town shut down the esplanade.  People were milling around in green, shamrocks, and leprechaun hats.  I am pretty sure the Guinness was flowing early.  Music was blaring.  The vendor tents were all up.  I am not sure how much Caz took in but I think he enjoyed himself.  I told him at the start that he did not have to wait for me.  I reassured him that he would see the route laid out and could meet me at the end.  He even picked our meeting point.
     When we started, the pack was thick.  We were really hemmed in.  I thought it might not go over well with Caz.  But he took matters into his owns hands.  He swung wide and ran through some backyards with some other kids to get in front of the pack.  Pretty clever, actually.  I figured I was too old to pull that off.  I thought for sure that would be the last I saw of him.  But after we made the turn and headed into the last mile, I caught sight of him. I slowly moved up on his right.  I knew he could drop the hammer on me at any time.  So I purposely, didn't let him see me until I could see the finish area.  Of course, I thought the finish line was closer than it was, so I started my finish kick early.  Caz would have dusted me anyway, but that didn't help.  He seemed ho hum about it.  I hope he liked it.  I hope he will run again.  But we will see.

No comments: