Thursday, April 5, 2012

Do The Right Thing

Part Two of the DYF annual meeting debacle:  I had tried to offer a decent compromise to the emotional uproar apparent during the meeting.  I raised my hand, then offered the thought that all head coaching positions were currently open by terms of the bylaw.  I proposed that since I had not made an official decision on coaching, I would withdraw my name in favor of bringing in a Pop Warner coach to act as head coach.  I would assist and help build a new coaching staff and team.  Since I had been coaching in both leagues for the past few years, I felt I had a unique perspective that would be valuable to this proposed merger.  It sounded good, but the Board glossed over it to put it politely.  One board member openly hissed at it.
     However, the gesture was not lost on the crowd.  It garnered a lot of talk after the meeting.  It seemed sensible to most, if I was willing.  And I am.  So why not?  I went so far as to say I would put my offer in writing to the board and reiterate it.  Which I did.  Then I sent the same note off to the DPW Board.  One thing about back room deals.  They don't really like the bright spotlight.  They tend to whither and die when faced with publicity.  I guess we will see.

No comments: