Friday, April 13, 2012

Teenage Wasteland

Happy 13th Birthday, Caz!

I wrote in my letter (I tend to write personal letters to the boys for milestone occasions on really nice stationary and in script) that in many cultures, old and current, the 13th birthday can be considered the gateway to manhood.  I kidded that Demi and I had not arranged a marriage yet, and would hold out for more than an ox or a couple of goats.
     These are really the years that he will look back and remember.  The years that shape the man he is destined to become.  Sure all these preceding years are important.  But a lot of it is just set up for the decisions he will make in the next few years.  You don't know it at the time, of course, but these decisions in years 13-16, have a big influence on what kind of adult you become later on.  Now, don't get me wrong, your path is not set in stone.  Kids screw up big in these years and recover.  But if you make enough good decisions in this time frame, it will add up to positive things later on.  The opposite would hold true as well.
     I think Caz is on a good path.  I am proud of what he has done so far.  I expect big things from him.  I challenge him to be the best Caz he can be.  Yeah, I probably demand that too.  I never said that being my child would be easy.

No comments: