Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Another Wall in the Hive

Yep.  I was ready to wall up my teenager in his compartment in the hive.  We were off to an epic family argument.  Well, most of the family.  Mom and Dad against Caz.  Nothing really out of the norm.
     It started the same as most of them do.  Generally, it starts over a little thing.  Then another little thing gets added.  And another.  It snowballs.  It escalates.  Then you have a full blown storm.
     This one started just like the others.  But as Caz started his hissy fit at the dinner table, I ordered him out of the house.  It was close to zero degrees out.  I tried to bundle him up.  He choose to be stubborn.  I told him to grab a shovel and to clean the deck.  He did it.  Not well.  But not poorly.  He did it quickly and efficiently.
     When he came back in, he was much calmer.  Demi and I were much calmer.  Demi more so.  I was still steaming a bit.  Caz apologized.  Demi led the discussion.  After a long talk, things got much better.  He wasn't happy but he followed the rules.  We finished in a much better place than where we had been.  I didn't need to put up the wall after all.

No comments: