Monday, February 24, 2014

Teenage Heartbreak

Well, I knew this day would come eventually.  It is one of those watershed moments that shapes our young adult life.  A first break-up.  Caz looks so depressed.  So sad.  As terrible as it is for him, it is heart wrenching for Demi and me.  It is so hard as a parent to see your child in such a state.  I guess I have to take the same advice as I would give Caz:  Time heals all wounds.
     My advantage is that I know this to be true.  Caz has to take my word for it.  Or not.  I doesn't seem like it from his perspective.  I do recall being in his shoes.  It feels like your world is coming to an end.  Love as a teenager knows it is limited.  Of course it is.  Experience is a huge part of all of our feelings.  With such a small sample size, it feels as if your soul has been ripped out and you will never recover.  It is why tragedies such as Romeo and Juliet resonate with audiences so much.  I think we all recall our first loves.  It leaves an impression.  It is an important milestone on our way to adulthood.
     I offered to share my own experience with Caz. He didn't have much interest at the time.  That is OK.  I won't push him.  I want him to know that he can talk to me.  But it is up to him to do so, only when he is ready.  I hope he's comfortable talking to me.  I guess reaching out is the first step, right?  That is all I can do for now.

No comments: