Sunday, July 12, 2015

Levitate Recap

The short version = Caz and I had a blast.  This year's edition of the Levitate Music Festival was a huge success all the way around.  In it's third year, attendance has grown from 3K to 4K to this year's 6K.  That is some growth.
     The set up was really nice.  The vendors booths were set up in rows at the back of the venue.  Vendors sold the usual T-shirts, necklaces, health food, natural/organic foods, and the Levitate stand selling surf & skate items.  By those stalls were the food trucks, food stalls, and beer tents.  It was hot so water, beer, and slushes/ice cream were the big ticket items.  Caz and I toured those first thing.  Then we headed to the stage.  This is where it started to get dicey.
     As we got close to the stage, the crowd increased.  I turned my back for one second and lost sight of Caz.  He raised his hand and waved.  He had found some friends.  Although I was happy for him, part of my thought, "Great.  I am getting ditched."  But can you blame him?  He found his peeps.  Go forth and conquer.  He was good about answering texts.  I didn't want to crowd him, but I wanted to see the band.  I tried to stay out of his line of vision.  There was a lot of pot being smoked.  Beer was all around.  As a father, it made me nervous.  But each time I checked in, he answered.
     We ended up getting back together for a late lunch, by the food trucks.  He ended up getting a meatball sub from an old fiend of mine, Coach Bone.  Neither one of them knew the other.  It had been a long time since they had seen each other.  After that we got to use the VIP tickets my friend, Charlie, had procured for us.  Free Island Creak Oysters.  Bonus!  Caz wanted no part of it.  We got a nice view, out of the crowd, in the shade, of the stages.  But then it got better.  Charlie got the all access passes.  We got to go back stage.  Caz got to see the artists up close and personal.  He watched Trombone Shorty's set while resting against the stage.  He was about 6 feet away.  He had a grin on his face the whole time.  It was a great experience for him.  He saw a friend from school in the audience.  That friend was probable closer, being in front the the stage. but was obviously jealous of Caz.  I think that was nice for Caz.  Caz was very polite and thanked Charlie a couple times.  I can't thank Charlie enough.  What a great experience for a kid.  A great Father/Son moment.

No comments: