Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Smash Brothers Saves the World

Who would have thought that a video game, especially one with retro characters, could bring about universal peace?  OK.  Way overstated, but for one night, it brought arch rivals Duxbury and Marshfield together.
     I came home from a business trip to a houseful of 16 and 17 year olds.  Caz had organized a Smash Bros Tournament.  It was a $5 buy in.  Winner takes all.  Top Gun rules.  There are no points for second place.
     The first thing I noticed as the line of cars parked on our street.  That is unusual for anyone in our neighborhood.  And for a teenager, that is usually a sure sign that nothing good is going on.  I saw a chalk path, colored into the street.  It proceeded up my driveway, around the back, over the deck and through the bulkhead.  There was even a Do Not Enter sign written in the walkway to the front door.
     Since I had been away, I wanted to say hi to my boys.  I went down stairs and saw a bunch of faces which I didn't recognize.  There was even a girl.  One.  Among all those boys.  The heat, humidity, and body temperature created a disastrous effect.  The stink permeating the room was an evil entity.  That poor girl.  I didn't know how she could stand it.  But teenagers from Duxbury and Marshfield were cheering and laughing.  They were extremely polite.  Quite a few thanked us for letting them come over.  Deluxebury and Marsh Vegas were united in a Smash Bros frenzy.  So it's not world peace.  But it's a start....

No comments: