Monday, August 6, 2007

Summer Reading Check In

Overall, the kids summer reading is going well. It's probably not the grand dreams I had at the beginning of the summer, but I can't complain. It is a time to relax a little and recharge the batteries. But I do like to show the kids that reading is fun, and that it's not just something for school. It is can be done just for the enjoyment and relaxation. The kids see Demi and me reading our own books all the time. That's more important than you think. It reinforces behaviour. It's leading by example.

I started reading the sports page with the kids. Box scores, batting averages, RBI's. It is stuff they can relate to. They now know that the newspaper is place they can get information. It's a resource. It's a beginning.

I bought the boys some books that they can read to me at night. So we do that. Coco's reading really seems to be taking off, which should translate well for a good start to first grade. Caz's keeps getting better and he really seems to adding to his vocabulary. Of course he correctly used "dissipate" in a sentence at 2. I know a few adults that can't do that. Ok, enough of the proud Dad, boasting.

I will see the kids with books in had on their own. Caz spent a few hours one afternoon in my hammock reading a book. Just like the old man. See what I mean about reinforcement? It pays off.

No comments: