Saturday, January 5, 2008

Big Brother Is.....

Doing more than watching. Some MA State Representatives are trying to introduce a bill that would regulate parenting. The high level goal is to ban on corporeal punishment for children by parents. This included soap in the mouth, hot saucing, and spankings, among others. I will not offer an opinion on any of litany of punishments listed on the bill. I have mentioned that I tell my kids that they don't come with an instruction manual. But that is all in jest. I don't think I really want one. I certainly don't want a rule book. I have also joked in the past that there should be licences for procreation. Let's face it. There are some folks that should never pass on their genes. I see head scratching example all the time that maybe Darwin didn't get it right. But I certainly don't want the government in my home telling me how to discipline my kids. I do the best I can, which is a lot more than a lot of parents. You see the decline of general discipline across the board. Parents are not setting limits. Everyone complains about a decline in morality, or decline in decency standards, or a decline in religion. They blame TV and TV advertisers, or rock music or whatever is most convenient. Some rely on school to instill discipline. It's too late by the time they get to school age. Has it gotten to the point that the general population is so lazy that the government now has to regulate child rearing? It is a disheartening prospect to think about.

No comments: