Thursday, January 10, 2008

Too Cool for School

When I had graduated college and moved into what would technically be my adult life (I don't think I could be classified as an adult. I sure didn't act like one.), I would see you kids. These kids would always say," That's cool!" When I got even older, I would hear high school aged kids at the mall give the casual, "Yeah, that's cool." So I wondered. I wondered at what age do kids start creating their definition of cool. When does a child look at something or someone and think, "hmmm, that (or that person) is cool."? And what does that (cool) mean to a child. OK. Yes. Maybe I had too much free time. Maybe I occasionally dwell on the mundane. But from a human development perspective, when does this insight happen? Well, I kept this question fresh in my mind so that I could test my conundrum on my own kids when the time comes. Well, based on my vast research and numerous (2) test subjects, I think I have configured an answer. My theory says that the cool factor kicks in after kindergarten and before the end of second grade. Actually, about halfway through second grade. If you tried to pin me down, then I would say first grade. Now here's the kicker....I mean here's the context of my theory. The cool factor clearly kicks in during first grade with the oldest child. Younger siblings will hear the word "cool" before first grade and may even say it. But the concept still does not develop at that point. It still takes a certain maturity level to wrap your mind around the definition of cool. Now you may add to it from there, but the spark that starts it? You get "the look" too. When you say, "that's cool" and have that smile in your eyes that goes with it...that's when whatever "that" is, is "cool". I recall Caz have the words and the look for the first time and see it now in the times that fool. I saw Coco say the words when he was younger than kindergarten but it didn't come with the look. It's all very scientific. I am sure the AMA will be calling any day now to publish this.

No comments: